The English language has many words with similar spelling & definitions. There, their, and they’re illustrate this perfectly. However, what about the words, excellent, excelent, and excellent? Which spelling is correct? In this post, we’ll explain the spelling of the word excellent & show you how to use it in your writing.
Which Is The Correct Spelling: Excelent vs Excellant vs Excellent
Just like we saw in our analysis of the words Amount vs Ammount, writers frequently make spelling mistakes. Sometimes, the incorrect spelling even becomes more popular! So which spelling of excellent is correct:
- Excellent: Correct spelling. The word “excellent” is used as an adjective to describe something that is extremely good or the highest quality.
- Excelent: Incorrect spelling. Excelent is not a word.
- Excellant: Incorrect spelling. Excellant is not a word.
Takeaway: Excellent is the correct spelling & is used to describe something as outstanding or someone with superior merit.
How To Use Excellent
Definition: The word excellent is a descriptive adjective that is commonly used to describe something that is of high quality or standard.
It is often used to praise someone or something for their exceptional qualities or performance.
- A student may receive an “excellent” grade on a test if they perform exceptionally wel
- A restaurant may receive an “excellent” rating if they provide exceptional food and service.
- A house may receive praise for being in “excellent” condition compared to the neighbors.
Pronunciation: Excellent is pronounced as “ek·suh·luhnt”
We use the word excellent frequently in our daily writing and conversations! It is a great way to give praise & show appreciation to others.
Here are several sentence examples that demonstrate how to use the word excellent correctly in your writing.
- The presentation was excellent and captivated the audience’s attention from start to finish.
- The teacher was an excellent role model for her students.
- After months of practice, she gave an excellent performance at the concert.
- The hotel room had an excellent view of the ocean that I’ve never seen before.
- The team’s strategy was excellent and led to them winning the game and advancing to the championship game!
Just like we saw in our post about how to spell outer, adding even 1 extra letter can completely change the meaning of a word.
By reviewing the data from Google’s Ngram Viewer we can see that “excellent” is the most popular spelling. And this makes sense because “excelent” and “excellant” are not correct words!
However, just like we saw in our analysis of the words Programming vs Programing, the wrong spelling can often become popular. Remember, just because people are using a word informally does not mean it is appropriate to use it in your writing!
Synonyms for Excellent
Using the same words over and over again in your writing is never a good idea. In fact, it can even be distracting to the audience. Here are some common synonyms for the word excellent.
Common Misspellings For Excellent
The word excellent is often misspelled by writers. Here are some of the most common spelling errors we see in our students.
Frequently Asked Questions
Exceptional is a better word than excellent. You might tell someone that they had an exceptional performance at their basketball game.
Excellent means superb. This is an adjective used to describe something or someone in a positive manner.
Yes, the word excellent is better than good. Good implies that something was satisfactory. However, excellent implies that something was far better than average.
No, great is not higher than excellent. Saying that something is in excellent condition is better than saying something is in great condition.
The Bottom Line
By now, you should understand the correct spelling of the word excellent. This word is most commonly used to express positive opinions about someone or something. Remember, excellent is not a word and should not be used in your writing! If you need more help with grammar rules like this, consider using our FREE grammar tool to make things easy.