There are certain words in the English language that have an alternative spelling. This can make spotting spelling mistakes extremely difficult! New writers often get confused when trying to decide between axel or axle in their writing. Which spelling is correct? In this post, we’ll give you the answer with some examples to illustrate the grammar rule!
What’s The Difference: Axel vs Axle?
The words axel & axle are commonly confused, just like the words Aunty or Auntie. For starters, they are both nouns. If you didn’t already know the definition of a noun, it is a person place, or thing.
- Axel – An axel is a figure skating jump. More specifically, it is when the skater takes off from the back inside edge of one skate, rotates in the air, and lands on the back outside edge of the opposite skate. The mid-air twist does great with the judges!
- Axle – An axle, on the other hand, is a car part. It is a shaft that connects two wheels and is needed to drive the car.
Takeaway: An axel is a figure skating twist & an axle is a car or bike component.
When To Use Axel
As we briefly mentioned, an axel is a figure skating move. It is a noun just like the words ladle and ladel. In fact, it’s no beginner move! This is a more advanced move that requires the skater to do a full twist in the air.
For those, that are interested, the axel is named after its inventor, Norwegian figure skater Axel Paulsen. It is considered one of the most difficult jumps in figure skating, so people like me have no business trying it!
Here are some examples of how to use axel in a sentence.
- The ice skater successfully landed a double axel during her routine and got first place.
- My coach has been working with me on perfecting an axel, but I can’t seem to get it right.
- The axel is considered one of the hardest moves in figure skating.
- In order to execute a clean axel, skaters need to have perfect equipment.
- I was amazed by the skater’s triple axel in the Olympic ice skating competition – it was worthy of a gold medal.
When To Use Axle
An axle is a rod that attaches two wheels on a car, bike, or ATV. It is a noun, just like the words on-page or in-page. From an engineering perspective, it transfers power from one wheel to the other and creates motion.
Axles are critical parts of many types of vehicles and heavy machinery. They are designed & built to be very durable. They are typically made from strong, durable materials like high-strength stainless steel.
Here are some examples of how to use axle in a sentence.
- The car’s front axle was bent after the accident, it will be very expensive to fix.
- The trailer had a broken axle so the towing company wasn’t able to move it.
- The mechanic replaced the faulty axle on my bike, and now it works like new.
- The car had a strong axle that could withstand the weight of up to 1,000 lbs.
- The wheels on the lawn mower are attached to an axle, which makes it possible to go forward and in reverse.
Can Axel Be A Name?
Axel can absolutely be a name. It is no different than Chris’s or Chris’s! In fact, the popularity of the name axel has increased significantly in recent years. The name is thought to mean “father of peace”. Here are some of the most famous people named Axel.
- Axel Geller – Argentine Tennis Player
- Prince Axel of Denmark
- Axel Absalon – Son of King David
Which Is More Popular?
After reviewing Google’s ngram data, axle is clearly the most popular word. Popularity for this word peaked in the 1920’s according to Google’s data. However, in recent years the word has become less popular.
Just like we saw when comparing the words pedaling vs pedalling vs pedaling, the popularity of a word can change over the decades. This could be for a variety of reasons.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is spelled axle when referring to a car part. The word itself has a Scandinavian origin. An axle on a car is a metal rod that connects the two wheels at the opposite ends of the car. It helps transmit power from the engine to the wheels and allows them to turn together.
It is the same thing in anatomy. In anatomy, the term “axis” (also called axle) usually refers to the cervical vertebrae, which is the second vertebra from the top of the spine and is responsible for supporting the head.
The correct spelling is normally Axel. The name axel has now become a very popular name for a baby boy. The axel name meaning dates back to its Scandinavian origin. Axel Miller, who was the Beverly Hills cop, is one of the most well-known examples of the name Axel!
In figure skating, the axel is a jump with a forward takeoff in which the skater rotates one and a half times around the vertical axis. It is considered the most difficult jump in singles skating. Norwegian figure skater Axel Paulsen first performed the axel. This is an advanced move that should not be tried by beginners!
The Bottom Line
By now, the difference between these two nouns axel vs axle should be clear. Axel is the name of a special figure skating jump. Axle is the name of a car part. Although both nouns have a German origin, they do NOT have the same meaning and cannot be used interchangeably. And if you want to ensure you are using correct grammar, be sure to use our FREE grammar tool. We can check your writing in seconds to ensure you avoid making a silly mistake!