In the English language, there are many similar words that writers tend to use interchangeably. The words inactivation vs deactivation are a prime example of such an instance. Can these words be used as synonyms? Or do these words have different definitions? In this post, we’ll answer these questions and show you how to use the words inactivation & deactivation in your writing!
What’s The Difference Between Deactivation vs Inactivation?
Deactivation & inactivation are very similar words with related meanings. We learned this rule first hand in our analysis of the words Lives & Lifes! In fact, they even have the same root word activation. However, these words are not the same and should not be used interchangeably in your writing.
- Inactivation – Stopping action by changing an eviornment or changing form. Inactivation is most commonly used in relation to biological activities.
- Deactivation – The action of turning something off like a machine or tool. Generally speaking, deactivation is more permanent or long lasting than inactivation.
Takeaway: Deactivation is normally used in relation to engineering. Inactivation is normally used in relation to biological sciences.
How To Use Inactivation
As we already mentioned, inactivation is a commonly used term in the biological sciences, to describe an attempt to achieve a desired effect. It is normally less permanent than something that is deactivated.
- For example, it can be used to refer to the process of inhibiting the effect of a gene, enzyme, or chemical by altering its structure and thus inactivating it.
It can also be used when referring to the muting of certain qualities in a process or product for safety reasons. It is most commonly used in academic writing such as science papers. This word is most commonly used by scientists and students.
Here is a list of sentences demonstration how to use the word inactivation in your writing.
- The inactivation of the gene was accomplished by mutagenesis.
- Inactivation of the protein was achieved with a chemical modification by the scientist.
- The inactivation of the enzyme was due to a change in its structure.
- Inactivation of the receptor led to a decrease in signal transduction.
- The inactivation of the ion channel resulted in an alteration of cell function.
As you can see, inactivation is mostly used in relation to certain biological activities. However, just like we saw in our post comparing the words atleast or at least even small spelling mistakes make a big difference.
How To Use Deactivation
The term deactivation refers to making something inoperable by disconnecting or disassembling it. It is most commonly used in the context of:
- Military technology
- The weapons were deactivated so that they could not be used against us.
- Nuclear weapons
- The bomb was deactivated just in time to save hundreds of lives.
- Other technology
- The toy car was deactivated after tommy deconstructed the motor.
When something is deactivated, that normally means it can’t be used again. It is a more permeant action that rendering something inactive. Use the Chegg Grammar Checker if you need some extra help discerning the differences between these terms!
Here is a list of sentences that demonstrate how to use the word deactivation in your writing.
- The deactivation of the alarm system was a mistake.
- The deactivation of the military unit puts our country at great risk!
- The deactivation of the explosive device was a relief & saved dozens of lives.
- The deactivation of the machine was difficult but very necessary.
- The deactivation of the weapon was essential in order to save many lives.
Just like we saw in our analysis of the words everyones’ or everyone’s, small spelling & punctuation changes can totally change a sentence!
Can They Be Used Interchangeably?
No, you cannot use the terms inactive and deactivate interchangeably. Just like with the words, Casual and Causal many writers think they are the same! Although they are both the opposite of activating something, these words have slight differences. Inactivation is used in a biological sense & deactivation is used in more of a technological or engineering sense.
However, just like we saw in our post about “how is it going meaning” small spelling changes can make a huge difference. So pay close attention to your spelling and word choice!
Which Is Used More?
By reviewing Google’s N Gram data, it is clear that inactivation is the most popular of the two terms. Although it has been declining in popularity for several decades, it is still used more than the term deactivation.
However, just like we saw in our post comparing the terms Paid & Payed, vocabulary can change. As decades past the terms used by authors usually changes with time. Nobody knows what the future holds for these two words!
Here are some popular synonyms for the words inactivate and deactivate.
- Shutting down
Frequently Asked Questions
There is an idiomatic difference between the words deactivate and inactivate. Deactivate implies that you make something incapable of future action and is normally used in regards to engineering topics. Inactivate implies you have altered an environment in a biological sense to stop an action.
Both activation and deactivation are a transitive verb and normally used in when talking about physical chemistry or biological sciences. Activation is increases the rate of reaction and deactivation decreases the rate of a reaction.
Inactive is the correct spelling. To make something inactive is to render inactive or render incapable of action. For example, “after taking my vaccination the infectious agent was rendered inactive by the normal serum.” Deactive is a misspelling of deactivation.
The meaning of inactivation is rendering something incapable of future action. Inactivation is the permanent cessation of something in the human body.
You might say “Inactivation of the protein was achieved by incubation with a protease.” Inactivation is normally used in relation to biological activities.
The Bottom Line
By now you should have a complete understanding of the difference between the words inactivation and deactivation. There is effectively no semantic difference between these two words. However, there is a slight difference in their use case and intent. You will see the word deactivate more commonly in engineering & inactivate more commonly in reference to biological activities. If you need some extra help with this, consider using our rewording sentences tool FREE of charge.